Wednesday, March 14, 2012

7th Letter from Varese

Dear Family,

This morning Sorella Walton and I hiked Sacro Monte, a beautiful spot about a fifteen minute bus ride in Varese. Look it up! There are lots of really old little churches that you can see as you hike up the path. As you look through the windows of each capella there are gorgeous remaining frescos on the walls remaining from the 1400s, and these life size statues that have been made within the last few years. All of the art and statues depict the different phases (or I have heard "the sufferings") of the life of Christ. It is very interesting, with many of them Sorella Walton and I were wondering, "When did this happen in the scriptures?". While it was not very correct historically it was very awesome to see.

We studied our scriptures and wrote letters up there. It was spiritually nourishing to be up in the mountains and to read and ponder the revealed truths of Christ. I am so grateful for the light of the complete gospel in my life. As you go out into the world, you realize that the simple things you learned in primary really are powerful and significant. The people here in Varese really need the Gospel. Sorella Walton and I pray that we will be able to be led to find those who are seeking after truth and righteousness, and will be willing to accept our message in their lives. I know that the Lord will help us!
As we were hiking, we found a few tiny patches of my favorite-- purple violets! And there were also white ones, too. I have never seen them before, they were very pretty. I picked just a few. I was reminded of Elder Uchtdorf's address to the Relief Society sisters last conference about the small and delicate forget-me-nots. He made so many neat analogies of the small forget-me-nots to our life. I believe that Heavenly Father gives us precious and peaceful moments, blessings to us in little bundles each day, as long as we are willing to look for them and recognize them. If we are not looking for His peace, we could overlook the opportunities, or trample those moments of peace under our feet, as we might the delicate and small forget-me-nots. They may seem insignificant compared to the grandeur of the world, but when you look closer you see how unique and delicate this flower is, and you can smell a faint, sweet perfume. Okay, enough of the Thoreau talk. I just loved being in the mountains!

This week has had its challenges, but the Lord has surely placed little violets in each day. I pray that Sorella Walton and I will find those in Varese who are seeking after that truth and righteousness. I know that with the Lord's help we will find them. We are continuing to teach Patrick, but we have not seen him in two weeks due to family problems. As far as all of our other investigators- they have so much potential. They are wonderful people that I have grown to love soo much. But they are not willing to commit themselves and follow Christ. As we had our last lessons with them this week, Marta cried and Alexander was really sad. It was hard for us as well, but we feel peace and relief. We have found three new great potentials that we have taught the first lessons. I cannot see the future at all, but I feel really good. I know the Lord has plans in mind and He can see the end from the beginning, so we're trusting Him. As we will do His will, there will be progress and success.

Question of the week: In what way can we accept the Atonement of Christ in our every day life?

Also, could someone foward me Elder Oakes' emails every week? That would be great!

I love you all! Have a fantastic week. Laugh, smile, look for the violets!

Love,
Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment