Wednesday, January 18, 2012

17th Week in Cuneo

Dearest Family,
I want to tell you about one of the most beautiful experiences I have had on my mission thus far. I know that I do not need to worry about it now, but from the things I have been seeing lately, I know that it would be very satifsying to be a marriage counselor.
A month ago, we were calling several different potentials in the area book to set up appointments. Sorella Willey began calling an old investigator Cristina. As she was talking to her on the phone, I remembered who she was. I yelled with my face, "No!!!! Do NOT set up an appointment with her!!!" and waved my hands in the air. But it was too late. Sorella Willey wrapped up the conversation and sweetly said, "Have a good night Cristina, we'll see you Tuesday evening."
Sorella Ryan and I had stopped teaching Cristina and her inactive boyfriend a month ago. After living a life filled with trials, mistakes and serious sins, they were absolutely miserable and discouraged. After a while, we concluded that neither of them had the desire or faith to change their life or to repent. To say the least, it was a big weight off my shoulders when we stopped meeting with them.
Even though I did not meet want to meet with them again, Sorella Willey and I had agreed to just meet once. I am so glad that we did! We have been working with them for the past three weeks and it has been one of the most incredible experiences on my mission thus far.
The first time that we met with them, I could immediately see and feel a change in Cristina. She was more clean in appearance and happy. She expressed that after not seeing the missionaries and going to church for a month, she missed the Spirit, and felt that she needed to change her life. The following day she attended Osagie's baptism and later recounted to us that she felt at home and desired to be baptized as well. Talk about the perfect timing of the Lord! What if Osagie had been baptized a month earlier, as previously planned?
Ever since then, we have poured our prayers and efforts into planning inspired lessons to meet their needs and build their hope. I am so grateful for the faith and love of Sorella Willey. She loves our investigators so much, and it makes all the difference. Cristina now has a baptismal date for March 3rd, they have both stopped smoking, taking drugs and drinking. Their house is all cleaned up with pictures of Christ and baptism pasted on every wall and mirror. They faithfully keep every commitment, and Cristina is now understanding and loving the Book of Mormon. I cannot believe how much they are changing! We have still not figured out how we are going to help them to obey the law of chastity. She has to wait three years before her divorce is finalized. Though many obstacles remain, they have already accomplished many impossibilities. Sorella Willey and I feel peace with continuing forward.
My faith in the Lord as well as in others has grown soo much. I myself have repented through working with Cristina and Salvatore. Now, my heart is full of love for them. I have never felt love like this before, as I once thought, they had been "a waste of time". Thanks to both Sorella Willey and Sorella Ryan I have learned on my mission that when you are being obedient and working hard, there is no such thing as "a waste of time"/effort. Shame on me. Every person is a beloved child of God, and they have potential to change and repent. I now have much more hope in myself and others. Hope in Christ and in the power of His atonement. Through Him, all things ARE possible. On my mission, there have been "elect" people placed in our path who are ready and already practically worthy to be baptized. While these meetings are incredible and bring me happiness, I now see how repentance is the greatest miracle. There is great, great joy in the sinner who repents, and God loves them so much! We are sinners, but through the mercy of Christ, we can become pure and forgiven.
xxxxx000000 Love,
Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment