Sunday, August 12, 2012

4th Week in Genoa


Carissima Famiglia,

  This week was hard. Boo hoo woa is me, that's enough. But I will say that we worked harder than I ever have in my entire mission. Even though we were physically, emotionally and spiritually tired, we kept walking, talking to everyone, praying. We are working together and I am super grateful for Sorella McFadden's commitment. I know that our work will pay off. I learned a lot about humility and the sustaining power of being grateful. So I guess it was a successful week! Though we had some disappointments, we still saw our fair share of miracles!

Gioia is progessing well towards her baptism for 25th of September. She is soo sweet and her one year old son, Wisdom, is adorable! During one of the lessons he was tackling two other 5 year old kids. I was blown away with how strong he is. Haha, one miracle was when we prayed before our last lesson for Wisdom to be calm so we could have the spirit when we taught Gioia. When we arrived he was half asleep and Gioia put him in the other room and we had a peaceful quiet lesson. :)

Oh yeah! I have not told you yet..at the beginning of my mission, I did an exchange here in Genova with Sorella Simpkins. We talked to a young girl on the bus, I still remember our experience. Sorella Simpkins and her companion ended up teaching and baptizing her and her mother that transfer! Now they are new converts in our ward and I love them!!! The young girl, 17 years old, Keyla taught her mom's friend all about church and the restoration. We taught her friend twice last week and she is very interested in the church! It's amazing how much difference members make in awakening a desire in their elect friends. We are excited to see how Gloria, their friend, progresses in her Book of Mormon reading.

 Miracle from Scambio in Savonna- Sorella Jones taught me much about the value of asking inspired questions and listening to others. She asked me many questions about myself, and my desires, and she lovingly listened to me. From that I experienced what it feels like to be one of her investigators.
Her skills came in handy during a lesson with one of their progressing investigators. After we had finished teaching a lesson about the Word of Wisdom, Sorella Jones paused and asked, "Is there anything else? Do you have any questions or comments? How are you feeling?" This shy woman did not respond immediately, but after waiting for another 30 seconds she said hesitantly, "My brother does not like that I am coming to the Mormon church." After she had opened up to us and told us about that hardship, I bore testimony about how reading the Book of Mormon every day would strengthen her testimony and courage to stand up for herself. Then Sorella Jones asked another wise question. She said, "What can you do to help him understand? What do you think you should do?" I loved that question because it helped that investigator to think for herself what she could to do be a free-agent rather than to simply be acted upon. As she thought about what she could personally do to deal with the situation, she was probably more committed to follow through with it.

  I am grateful that Sorella Jones was so patient and loving with her investigator that she was sensitive enough to heed the promptings of the Spirit. Most, if not all the people with whom we work face problems that we as missionaries are not aware of. If we do not know what these obstacles are, we cannot help them solve their problems and continue to progress towards faith, repentance and baptism.

 I know that the Holy Ghost guides our work by prompting us to ask the right questions and to patiently listen to others. In this way they are able to feel our love and will open up to us and let us know how we can help.

I love you all! Shout out to Anziano Dean, I read your email! I will pray for Giorgio. Thanks for sharing that miracle.

 Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment