Wednesday, July 18, 2012

1st Week in Genoa


Dear Mom, Dad, Elder Oakes and Beloved Grandparents,

  I cannot express how much I have changed in the last few days. This has no doubt been the most intense AND most rewarding week of my mission. To synthesize my experience in a few words, relationships are hard! Due to stress and fatique, Sorella McFadden has been feeling down. For three days I poured all my heart and energy into loving and building her up, trying to crack stupid jokes and be positive. After remaining patient and loving all through the day, she was still having a hard time. It was difficult for us to love and have patience for each other.

 There was a point when for the first time on my mission, I really wondered if I was capable, physically and spiritually of continuing forward. My heart was full of sorrow and I felt this incredible burden weighing on my shoulders. I knelt down by my bed and prayed more intensely than I ever have before. I pleaded for strength, understanding, charity and patience. As I prayed I knew that the Savior had atoned for my sorrows, sins and personal weaknesses. I felt Him close to me, bearing me up. The only thing keeping me going was the testimony that I had that the Lord never calls us to fail. He has confidence in us to grow into and fulfill our callings and to overcome challenges.

Because I turned and completely relied on my Savior, I received sustaining peace and hope as I read the scriptures. The next day I kept smiling, being positive and working hard. At some point, things began to get better between Sorella McFadden and me. Our friendship began to bloom, and we felt sincere appreciation and charity for each other. By the end of Friday night, Sorella McFadden was smiling and laughing, and we were rejoicing in all the miracles that the Lord had blessed us with that day. I was on cloud nine! My heart was filled with love and this incredible good feeling. I had changed and she has changed so much too!  I am deeply impressed with Sorella McFadden's faith to change. She has overcome difficult things and that is a powerful example to me.

I have never felt so much pure love and closeness to a missionary companion as I do now with Sorella McFadden. I feel so much satisfaction every time that she smiles and laughs, every time she casts her fear aside and approaches someone on the bus. Oh I cannot express how much I love her. I love the Savior so much as well. It is ONLY through Him, that we could have progressed to where we are now. The atonement is the most powerful source of help that we can receive.

 At zone conference, President and Sorella Wolfgramm and our other leaders talked about the very things that we are learning now. I want to bear personal testimony that perfect love does cast out all fear and discouragement. God is love. Do you want to hear about the miracles and success stories that we have been seeing in Genova recently? I'll tell you, there are a lot!!  And regarding Sorella McFadden and me, we ARE awesome!!!  We are sacred missionaries.

  Mom, Anziano Barnes is my district leader! He is an amazing missionary and leader. I am so grateful for his support and example. We are going to see so many miracles in our district this transfer! Tell his parents that he is blessing so many lives over here, including the missionaries. But they already know that, of course.

To tell you all a bit about Genova...there are about 70, 80 people who attend church. I love this ward soo much! I thought that Varese was the best branch, but now I feel like Genova 2 is the best! We receive referrals from the members, and there are lot of people who want to come teach with us. Right now we just need to find some investigators.

It is beautiful here! Genova is a big city, the buses are already packed. The ocean is my favorite part!

Love you all so much,
 
Sorella Oakes

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what great life lessons she is learning...how to deal with people and completely rely on the Lord and His Atoning sacrifice. Thank you for posting! It boosts all of our testimonies!

    ReplyDelete