Wednesday, June 20, 2012

21st Letter from Varese


Dear Loved Ones,

It is so hot here! I don't know how Elder Oakes and Grandma and
Grandpa live in Brazil. It's hard to sleep at night. In the middle of
the night I get in the shower and drench my clothes and hair with cold
water so I can go back to sleep. Sometimes I do that twice or three
times! And it's going to get hotter in July and August.

I want to tell you about a new amazing investigator- Conie. We met her
on the bus with her adorable son Fabrizio. They are Peruvian, and she
is deaf. She doesn't read lips or understand italian. We bring a
Spanish speaking member with us with a computer and she translates
everything. Conie and Fabrizio came to church this last week. They are
so sweet. You feel the Spirit really strongly when you are around her.
Did I tell you this already? I hope not.

Richie is even more elect than we ever thought. Within one
transfer, he met us and progressed to baptism. Besides having studied,
"lived" and practically memorized half of the Book of Mormon, he has
an excellent grip on the basic doctrines of the church by studying the
Gospel Principles Book on his own. He loves the Lord and always tries
to build others up with his big smile and positive words.

This week, Sorella McNamara and I got to learn a little bit more
about his family background. When we were teaching a lesson, I
recounted an experience I had with my dad when I was younger. When I
looked at Richie, tears were slowly streaming down his face. I paused
and asked, "What's wrong?" He said, "You are so lucky to have a family
like that. My dad does not write or talk to me. He doesn't care what I
do with my life." We all sat there in silence for a minute. Sorella
McNamara and I felt sad for him.

 A few days later, his mom showed up in church for the first time! Well, in fact,
it wasn't really the first time. When I approached her, I realized that I had seen her
before. Months ago, Sorella Walton and I had visited an inactive man
in our branch. A few weeks after that, he showed up in church, with
his companion, Kate. When we had tried to fellowship her, she was very
aggressive and rude, to say the least. They never showed up again....until last
Sunday. That woman turns out to be Richie's mother! What a coincidence.

I do not want to dampen this miracle story with negative things. I
just want to say that I am amazed with how great Richie is! It seems
that although he has had a rough family situation, he has clung to
Jesus Christ his whole life and the Lord has led him to His true
church. I am so grateful for the hand of the Lord in Richie's life. We
love him like a brother. There is no doubt that Richie is an elect
spirit, faithful son of God who was reserved to live in these last
days. It is a priveledge to know him. I cannot wait to see what the
future holds for him in his spiritual progression and service in the
Lord's kingdom.

Well, I hope you have received my letters.
Lots of love,

Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment