Wednesday, April 18, 2012

12th Letter from Varese

Dear Family,

I am going to train!!!! Soo excited. President told me that there are two new sorelle coming in and from what he read about them they are both "dynamite." I can just feel that she is going to be an outstanding missionary. I am going to learn so much these next two transfers. I want to be the best I can for her and help her be the best missionary the Milan mission has ever seen. Too bad it's not appropriate to jump and dance in the Internet cafe, because I would like to right now.

Wow, Sorella Walton and I have become soo close. I feel like she really is my blood sister. She is going to Pordenone (I think that's how it's spelled), in a threesome. She is a bit nervous about having to coordinate with two companions, but I know both of her comps fairly well and they are awesome. I think they'll be able to figure out how to divide the lessons up and be patient with one another.

Sorella Walton and I have done so much together here--we figured out the bus system; after months of scrubbing, the tub has gone from black to almost white; we met and taught some incredible people whom we will always love. I feel like we have done what we needed to do together, and she has left Varese better than she found it. I am soo grateful to have lived and worked and learned from her. She was a wonderful missionary two transfers ago, now she is even more powerful. I am grateful that we learned how to be completely open with each other, and to push ourselves to make goals and to overcome our personal weaknesses. I have learned a lot with her about strict obedience, about speaking Italian and being 100% missionary (Sorella Oakes) rather than Quincy, and I have learned the power of heartfelt prayers. Sorella Walton has really blessed my life.


Okay, it is time to relate some miracles! First off, about all of our weekly numbers were higher than they ever have been here in Varese. President Wolfgramm has told us that the numbers are a reflection of our work. And behind all those numbers, there are people who are progressing in the gospel. People we care about.

Remember Gabrielle? He is a member in our ward who has been coming with us to the lessons every week since we have been here. He has recently been helping us translate and type up our ward mission plan. It is a very simple plan that encourages members to extend a gospel invite each week. As I talked about a few weeks ago, Gabrielle has experienced an incredible change of heart through our experiences with him. He has given us four awesome referrals--his best friends. They trust him so much that they are a lot more interested in learning about the gospel.
The other evening, after a lesson, Gabrielle asked if we could find a place to talk. It seemed as though he was sad. After we found a secluded bench in the train station, he opened up his heart. He said, "I feel so close to my Savior. These lessons that we have been teaching have been so spiritual, and I find myself beginning to recognize the spirit, prompting me when I should bear testimony. I seek to be in tune to say what the Savior would say, rather than my own words. As I have been taking your challenge to read the Book of Mormon more and do this ward mission project, my testimony has grown a lot. My thoughts are constantly about Jesus Christ, and I am happy and I am bursting to share my testimony with my friends. As I was talking with my best friend in the car the other night, I freely bore my testimony and told him that he needed to be baptized. My friend felt the spirit so strongly that he became speechless." He bore his testimony for us for ten minutes. The Spirit was so abundant and our hearts were full to the brim.
Sorella Walton and I have witnessed him change from the inside out. We have a firm testimony of the principle taught in Preach My Gospel, "Strengthening their (the ward members') understanding of the doctrine of Christ will do more to increase their trust in you and to build their excitement to do missionary work than anything else you can do."

We are excited to light up the missionary work/member work here in Varese. By having spiritual experiences with our branch members, there will be more people baptized that will remain active and magnify callings in the years to come. Building the members' trust in the missionaries is extremely important. I know the Lord has played a marvelous part in preparing all of our hearts and minds to do this work in His way. He is sending His spirit to help us all (full-time and member missionaries) be more couragious, to get out of our comfort zones and improve our missionary skills.

Well fam, I pray for you more fervently each day. I care about you so much.

Love,
Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment