Wednesday, February 1, 2012

1st Week in Varese

Dear Family,
I have never been so focused on the work. I love it. Sorella Walton and I are consecrating all of ourselves to the Lord and we are here in Varese. A little about the city- there IS public transportation. My mistake :). We got a monthly pass, which is really convenient.It is snowy here, very cold but...we are doing great! It is bigger here than Cuneo, there are mostly Italians and a few Equadorians and Peruvians. Tons of elect people, that is for sure! The second day here we met a Peruvian girl named Gabriella at the bus stop. We gave a three minute explanation of the Book of Mormon and got her info, and she said, "I have been really wanting to be closer to God. I hope this book will change my life." She did not show up at her lesson or answer the phone but we pray that we'll meet again. There have been many other contacts that we have met like this.

My companion has her whole heart in this work. I have been so touched this week by her example. As I have gotten to know her, she has shared with me about some of the challenges that are going on with her family back home. I could see many missionaries getting down and depressed and deciding to go home. But Sorella Walton has complete trust in the Lord. I remember a moment this week when a tear came to her eye, she couragiously smiled and said, "I know that if I give my heart to the Lord, and work my hardest to build the kingdom here in Varese, that the Lord will take care of everything. This is where I am supposed to be." She has chosen to consecrate her efforts, her thoughts, and her entire heart to the Lord. The Lord will bless her and the kingdom here in Varese very much for her great optimism and faith! I thank the Lord that I have the opportunity to be with her as my companion every day.


Surely the ward here in Varese is the best in the Milan mission!!! The members are dying to do missionary work. When Sorella Walton and I arrived in church our first Sunday here, we were greeted with warm hugs. All the members have tons of referrals of close family and friends and they asked us to call them to come to appointments with us, and help us with anything we needed. They want to grow the ward. There are tons of returned missionaries, and a few strong families in the church. One woman asked us for fifteen Books of Mormon to give to her friends. Every person who prayed thanked the Lord that the sorelle are here, and asked to help them be better ward missionaries and for the ward to grow here in Varese. It has been a year since anyone has been baptized, but the ward is as confident as we are that it will double in no time. I know that we will see many miracles here in Varese as a result of the faith and prayers and support of a strong, spiritual ward. The work will explode here because the ward members will love and fellowship our investigators. Sorella Walton and I are considering having a missionary night where we teach the members how to introduce the gospel to their friends. It is one thing to know how to do missionary work, and another to teach others how to spread the word.

I have a testimony of the Lord's hand in this work. As we have been giving all of our hearts and desires to the Lord, the guidance of the Spirit has become more clear and constant, leading us to what we need to do each day. I have felt so much power and faith in the Lord as I read 1 Nephi 16 and 17. As I read about Nephi's faith and diligence in doing the work of the Lord I take comfort and courage. After his bow broke, he did not murmur like his brothers; he came up with a solution by carving a wooden bow, and asked the Lord, "Where should I go to find food?" He knew there was a fertile place prepared, and he knew that the Lord would tell him where it was. In chapter 17, the Lord tells Nephi to build a boat. He had never built a boat before in his life! But the Lord told him that he would be his light in the wilderness, and that he would show him where to find the material to make the boat, and how to make it, step by step. His brothers thought he was a fool, but Nephi trusted in the Lord and went to work. I have felt such a connection to this story here in Varese. There may be a few "broken bows" in the area book, or lack of investigators. But Sorella Walton and I have our arrows in hand and the Spirit is prompting us where to aim and hunt. We are going to build a boat (spiritually building our Rome Temple), and we are so excited to witness the power of the Lord. We are so weak, but with Him we KNOW all things are possible.

I will tell you my address next week.

Lots and lots and lots of love,
Sorella Oakes

1 comment:

  1. I love reading Sorella Oakes letters. Today, I was very touched by her faith, testimony and love for the Italian people. I am sure she will do wonderful things in her new area. My thoughts and prayers are with her and Sorella Walton.
    Love,
    Mona Lloyd
    Mom of Sorella Chandra Lloyd
    http://sisterlloydinitaly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete