Sunday, December 18, 2011

12th Letter from Cuneo

Dear Loved Ones,

Where to begin? So much has happened this past week.

The baptism was the most stressful\most beautiful experience of my mission thus far. Even with all of our phone calls and preparation, nothing turned out as planned. Osagie called us half hour before and told us he could not make it. Apparently his train was cancelled, but he did not call us earlier. There was no way he could come unless someone drove to pick him up, and by then, he would not have enough time to make it home to the shelter in Mondovi....long story. Some of the members became heated with each other, debating about picking him up and starting the baptism late. Meanwhile, David was in the chapel waiting with his mom. This was her first time in the church, and David had only told his parents about his baptism (and any relation to the church) three days ago. You can imagine how surprised they must have been!! His dad is Catholic Catholic Catholic, and last that they knew about David's religious beliefs, he had been completely atheist. Therefore, they were shocked! But I think that his mom is a little happy that he is Christian now.

After a half hour of commotion, we trusted in the Lord and decided to continue with David's baptism. There was not very much we could do regarding Osagie at this point. I must admit, I was inwardly really frustrated at the way that some people were acting, and how nothing was going as I had hoped for. I felt like David deserved something more special than this...I prayed for charity and that he and his parents would be able to feel the Spirit.

Once the meeting finally began, a few ward members gave some beautiful talks, Sorella Ryan and I sang the primary baptism song. Everyone walked to the back of the church in a narrow hallway by the coat hangers and bathrooms to the set up font. It was not much, especially compared to the grandeur of a cathedral, but it was simple and beautiful. David beamed, and eagerly started into the pool, followed by Fratello Divitto. Within one minute he was baptized, completely immersed and cleansed from all of his sins.
A little bit later after David and Frtllo Divitto dried off and joined everyone in the chapel, David bore his testimony. I cannot describe in words how strongly I felt the Spirit, how strongly he was filled with the Spirit as he spoke. There is no doubt in my mind that David was one of the most noble followers of Christ in the premortal life. He has chosen to be elect, and Sorella Ryan and I are amazed. He has kept all of his commitments. He has studied the Book of Mormon every day, with real intent. He kneels in prayer every day, and has a deeply personal relationship with his Father in Heaven.

Here is something that he said in his testimony, "Over two months ago, I did not know what to do with my life. I was confused, and somewhat in despair. And then, one day on the way to work, I was sitting on the train and two people asked if they could sit next to me. They told me that day, 'We know that our message is true.' The best thing that they have done for me is encouraging me to read the Book of Mormon, and to gain a testimony for myself. I have done that, and I know it is true. I have never felt so much happiness or purpose in my life. I know God and Jesus Christ live, and that this is the church of Christ." He is a pretty tough guy, but he was extremely emotional during his testimony. He was saying the feelings of his heart, and every other sentence hide his head and cover his mouth trying to hold in his emotions. The whole branch felt the Spirit. He is an incredible strength to our branch!

I read a scripture this morning that perfectly describes my feelings. Alma 26:1-7. Even though I will not convert thousands of souls, or hundreds, or dozens, I feel as if I have. In reality, the Lord has. I am grateful that I have been able to witness David's conversion. Even though it was frustrating that Osagie did not come, or we have not baptized as many people as we had planned, as David was bearing his testimony I felt, "THIS is why. This is why I came here to Cuneo. This is why I came on my mission. It has all been worth it."

Even more, the following day we had Stake Conference in Allessandria, about two hours from Cuneo. David sat two rows in front of us with an amazing couple in our ward. I saw how happy he was, and feel that he will remain strong his whole life. He might serve a mission, he will be married in the temple and raise a family. He told one of the Elders last week, "I guess I know this church is true because I have this strong desire to share the Book of Mormon with my friends and family. That is kind of strange. " He already has a few good referrals for us to teach.

Wow, not enough time to relate it all! Osagie still wants to baptized, but right now we are waiting and praying concerning exactly what to do. It would be great for him to have a strong testimony and relationship with the members when he is baptized. 


To answer a few logistical questions! Christmas day- yay, I am excited for the big phone calls. Mom and Dad, I will let you know next week the times I will call! I am pretty free all day, it our choice. We will be eating with some members, but they would be delighted to have us call in their homes. I will ask if anyone has skype...

I am sad that Sorella Ryan is leaving. It is weird, and it makes me feel a bit trunky/happy that I am at the beginning of my mission at the same time! Wow, the mission is too short. I want my time to last forever. I love her so much, and have learned so much from her. I will tell her that you received her letter- she is a sweetheart.

I found out that my next companion is Sorella Willy! She's coming from Verona, excellent, musical, Utah missionary. I am excited to learn from her. She is a bit more serious, but very sincere and focused on the work. I bet she will have some great new insights to help us out in Cuneo.

Elder Oakes!!!!!!! What a stud muffin! I pray that you will have an incredible experience in the MTC in Brazil. Your experience will be much different than the Provo MTC and I am excited to hear about it!

I have the best family in the whole world. Bunches of amore,

Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment