Sunday, November 27, 2011

9th Letter from Cuneo

My heart is full with gratitude and love today, especially after reading your beautiful emails. Wow, I am so proud of Weylin. I wish I could have been there for your farewell talk but I am out here in the battlefield cheering you on 100%! I will print out your talk and read it tonight, cannot wait. I look up to you so much, little/older brother.
Two updates as follows:
1) We will probably have Osagie's baptism next week. He is so unstable sometimes and it is really hard to see him. He is ready for his baptism but he is looking for a job and a home right now so he is really stressed. He sleeps in the cold outside the train station every night for a week. I cannot imagine how that would be. There is not much he or we can do to help him. He is a hard worker but as a foreigner, especially an African, it is really hard to find a job. Let us just say that Italians do not like Africans. We pray for him, and do not know how to plan anything for his baptism, but Sorella Ryan and I feel this strange feeling of peace and calm. We are doing our part and the Lord will do the rest.
2) WE HAVE A BAPTISMAL DATE WITH DAVID!!!! as of last Saturday! We had a lesson with some members and the Spirit was so strong. He will be baptized on the 10th of December if all goes well. He is really solid, and seems excited to become a part of the fold in Cuneo. I have never felt so much joy in my entire life. The Lord prepared a way for us to meet this 20 year old kid on the train a month ago. At the start I would have never thought he would even become Christian. His whole life has changed because of the gospel. He has so much faith, and each time we teach a new commandment, he more readily accepts it and commits to keep them. And our ward loves him already. Our branch president had us all over for family home evening and we taught the Word of Wisdom. It makes all the difference to have the support of the ward, and lessons in the presence of members!
Another miracle that I'd like to share briefly... yesterday morning Sorella Ryan felt the prompting to go visit a less active whom we have never met. Last night we took the bus to a small city just outside Cuneo, discovered that we were in the wrong place and that there were no more buses in that area. We walked for a half hour in the dark and cold, we were tired, but we practiced our Italian. When we finally found her apartment we knocked on the door. We met the entire family, her mom, her mom's boyfriend and her nine year old sister. Eleanora is about twenty four. After chatting for a bit we asked her about her baptism and friends in our ward. She and her mom were so sweet to us, very sincere and warm people. They mentioned that their brother had died last year because of heart problems. The mom opened up and cried. "Why does God let good people suffer. He never smoked, and he was a good person. I just want some kind of an explanation." It is interesting, as a missionary, you hear this question of the soul over and over again from people you encounter. Even though you may study the answers, and come up with some good responses...each time someone asks me this I am at a loss as to what to say. Nothing ever seems like enough, especially when someone is really hurting.
We paused and I said, "I have never felt what you have. But I know that Heavenly Father has. He allowed his only Begotten Son to suffer, and to die for us. That was real. And you have felt a bit of what He felt. Christ suffered for us so that we can receive His love and comfort." She seemed to believe what I said, but after a few moments, shook her head. "Maybe in the future. I need time to heal."
From day one, I have learned soo much about the love of our Heavenly Father. He extends his arm of mercy continuously to us, all the day long. He is always near, offering comfort and peace, but only we can choose to accept it. If we trust Him, we can have peace and joy in this life, and hard things will be possible to overcome, possible to bear in the meantime. I am so grateful for the promptings of the Spirit. Even though this family did not want to meet with us again, Sorella Ryan and I mourned with them, and gave them hope. That is our job. The Lord loves us so much.
I am so grateful for the times when I have "suffered" a bit in my own life. These experiences have brought me closer to my Savior than any of the other experiences that I have had. Well, with the exception of my visits to the temple. But when we are sick, or feel sorrow, it is easier for me to remember how Christ felt. What love. He endured to the end, and was completely faithful to us. The outcome was our salvation! Wow, so powerful. I pray that we will remember to always be faithful to Him in return, to never turn our backs on Him, to never take for granted His grace and mercy. We always, always, always have things to be grateful for if we just look outside of ourselves. There is a whole world of wonder and joy when we serve others and forget ourselves. I am so grateful for the times when the Lord has humbled me, and prodded me to continue to learn and grow. Sorry, blubbering on a little.
I love hearing updates, so keep sending them! You do not only have to send the happy news, I would like to be aware and pray for you all.
All my loves, hugs and kisses
Sorella Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment