Wednesday, October 19, 2011

4th Letter from Cuneo

Dear Family,
I love you sooo much! Here is part of the letter to my mission president this week. I wrote good letters that I will send in the mail today. The others should be arriving soon.
1. GEM: Describe one thing your companion did for you this last week that made you want to be a better missionary: One of my favorite things about my companion is her ability to be enthusiastic and excited about everything! When we are tired in the middle of the day she literally waves her hands up in the air and yells, "Yay, we get to go teach so and so!" or "I am so excited to...". She makes missionary work more fun. She is a great example of what it means to endure to the end-- enduring to the end with gusto and joy in this marvelous work. When I feel tired or discouraged, she makes me laugh. No matter what the situation, she focuses on the postive and has a plan for how we can improve next time.
I have one small, insignificant experience with her this week that occupies my mind. We were bundling up before we went out into the cold. She cannot stand the cold, but I remember her sighing, and then laughing and exclaiming, "I love the winter because I get to wear my beautiful scarves! I am so excited to go outside, I am!" While she was simply trying to encourage herself to do something she did not want to do, this made a big impression on me.
Her positive attitude prompts me to wake myself up, physically or emotionally, shake the dust off my feet and to "give it my all". She has taught me a lot about how we can "act for ourselves and not be acted upon". If we give our best to the Lord and then look up we will recognize his miracles and tender mercies that surround us. When we have this attitude of gratitude, the Lord is pleased with our hearts. At the end of a long day we feel a warm feeling of contentment that it was indeed another successful day.
2 MIRACLE: Describe one miracle that occurred this past week; something that increased your awareness that God is directing your work:
This week we taught our first lesson with a brilliant little girl who is nine years old. Brilliant meaning she has a radiant spirit! Although her parents are separated and her mother physically abuses her, she is strong and is drawn to the truth of the gospel. She is next door neighbors with an inactive family in our ward. When we went to go visit this family, we were not expected to get such a golden referral. This little girl wanted to bear her testimony on her first Sunday in church, and volunteered to give a talk in the Primary presentation this upcoming week. As we taught her in their home, I was amazed by her comprehension of the things that we taught her about Heavenly Father and the Restoration.
My testimony was especially strengthened concerning two things: the elect openly accept the truth because of their faith and works before this life, and the influence that one of these noble sons or daughters of God can have on so many others! This girl has already had so much influence on reactivating an entire family with six children because she wants to go to church. They have taken her under their wing and now are attending church with her. I have a testimony that Heavenly Father sends some children to help their parents come to Christ. This is the case with this noble spirit. We pray that her mom will eventually be open to listening to our message as well and that she can experience the peace that only comes through the Atonement of Christ.
Through this experience with this young person, I witnessed that Heavenly Father is over all! He provided a way for one of His suffering children to receive the Gospel, to be surrounded by a family that loves her, and in turn for that family to be strengthened in their testimonies as well.
Love,
Sorella Oakes

1 comment:

  1. It is truly amazing how one special little spirit can strengthen peoples faith...half way around the world!! What a tender letter!
    Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete