Sunday, October 2, 2011

1st Letter from Cuneo, Italy

Carissimo famiglia,
So much to tell! I only have half an hour...let us just say there have been quite a few obstacles this morn to connect to this site. it will be better in the future, hopefully. The flight was long, but i loved it. i spoke to an atheist, austrian man on the flight from chicago to frankfurt. He was really sincere and nice and i had a chance to bear my testimony to him that even tho he does not know God, Heavenly Father knows him perfectly and loves him. When I looked in his eyes, I was calm and confident, and I think it touched his heart because he could tell I knew it was true, without any doubts. It was good for him to see that mormons are normal and respectable people. He was impressed with the Anziani and Sorelle...the food was really plush and the airplane was huge! Two stories high, three big aisles wide. Luckily he knew how to speak english very well.
On the flight to Italy, I sat next to a real Italian man. He was a bit older and we talked in Italian the whole flight. It was amazing- I understood most everything he said and I was able to talk much faster, calmer and smoothly than ever. I felt the Spirit really stronger and I think he did too. He was humble, and the conversation quickly turned to religion. He said that he was Catholic but not practicing. This is the case with almost every catholic I meet. There are certain things that do not make sense to him about the church and he does not believe its true. Therefore, he does not believe in God. Also, very common here, especially with the youth. But I would consider many people more agnostic than atheist per se. They are looking for the truth but do not know where to find it. This is where the servants of the Lord come in. If they will listen to our message, the humble will feel the Spirit, and experience hope in the word than they can know for themselves, with surety that there is a Heavenly Father in heaven who loves them, and that He has restored His truth and authority to the earth once more to guide us. We need not be in the dark anymore. What a great and exciting word we have to spread!!! We need to rejoice and lift our voices so that all can hear...so that those who are searching for hope and truth of Christ can have it in its fulness!!!
Anyways, he was very open and sincere and I taught him about the apostasy, restoration and recited the first vision for him. He seemed to understand with his mind and his heart. I looked in his eyes with confidence and joy and he seemed to be touched by the Spirit. I asked for his info. He gave me his and his sons number and address. Hopefully the Anziani in Pavia will teach him. He said that he would like for them to come teach him. I explained to him about hte Book of Mormon, read part of the intro, invitation in Moroni 10รง3 through five. Haha, these keyboards are a little different. And he held it in his hand like it was atreasure. He kept reading different parts. I told him that I would give it to him if he promised to read it and ask in prayer if it was true. He paused, and said he could not because they were my nicer ones...I did not have enough room to pack a spare in italian in the airport. He said that I needed them to teach, they were marked...but I said that if he promised to read them I would give it to him. He looked seriously in my eyes, shook his head and said with commitment yes. Little did I know how precious a response like this would be. Haha. I felt good about it like he really would read it. He said, I will promise to read it all, but I wil not promise to believe. I will pray and try. I explained what it meant to pray with real intent and made some promises. Really good first experience with Italians. In retrosect, it was a great tender mercy of the Lord right before I flew into Milan.
We were greeted by our President Wolfgramm, Sorella W, the Aps and some Sorelle that work in the main office. So warm and friendly!!!! They greeted us like family and I felt at home. We had a few initial meetings that day at the mission home and dinner that night with them at their home. They are wonderful, incredible people and inspired....I could not ask for a better group of missoinaries or mission president. So uplifting, positive, and inspiring. We need to have that kind of attitude here in Italy. There are friendly people, but there are also many miserable people. They think we are really weird, maybe even crazy because how happy we are. I admit, we are not always the most fashionable people. Haha. This morn sorella Ryan and I road our bikes back from the grocery store, full with bags, skirts and helmets. Wow, I love riding my bike here! Let us just say that it is an adventure here...Grandpa Garner should not come here because I know he would have a heart attack. I am so glad that I rode my bike soo much before I left...really good practice.
Every person that I have met, esp catholics completely agree that the bible has been changed by wicked men and that the truth of God is not complete or on the earth. Whenever we explain this part, they all shake their heads in agreement. It is hard for them to believe in a living prophet. In fact, many people laugh out loud at the idea and think we are crazy. Every person struggles with the idea that we can know for a surety that God exists and if...anything, any moral and principle is true in this life. They say, only God knows these things and all we can do is hope, believe and find out in the next life. I am so grateful for the security that I have. I know, because the Spirit has borne testimony me everyday when I feel peace in my heart, when I am filled with confidence and happiness even though there are wicked things in the world.
Ah...I have some pictures but there is no one available to help right now...i do not know how to because everything is in italian...i promise next time to send some good ones.
Sorella Ryan is the best!!!! Really, i am amazed with how blessed am I. Better than my mtc comps...i do not know how that is possible, but we are best friends. She is from Van couver Canada, a voice major...i would best describe her personality as the girl on tangled!!! Super positive, energetic and driven, but also very experienced and wise. She has been out for a little longer than a year and speaks italian really well. There have been miracles in meeting and teaching people this week in Cuneo. French people, africans, italians....I love it. It is hard but I have the best comp. Greatest miracle is I am so calm. My comp is surprised with how well i have adjusted to all the changes and so am I. It is a complete fulfillment of the promises in my setting apart and I am doing all that I can by having faith to help the Lord make His promises come to pass. I feel at home here. We are the only missionaries in this area. It is a huge area, but we try to do mainly tracting in the street and in the park is best. Casa per casa is not very good so we do not do that often. There are only fourty people who attend church so we are trying to focus on strenghtening the ward. It was fun going to church! Loud, especially in relief society, hahaha. Everyone interrupts each other...very different from the sweet sisters in Provo utah, but this is the culture here. The food is wonderful...so much fresh bread. It is very expensive though so we cannot buy a lot. We do not have many dinner appts so i definately do not have to worry here about gaining weight. Good thing huh!
All my love,
Sorella Oakes

1 comment:

  1. This was wonderful to read! She made the most of her time on the airplane and the people are already feeling her great Spirit! Lisa, you definitely showed her how to look in people's eyes so they can see the sincerity. Thank you for posting so we can share. I look forward to seeing pics and hearing more of her experiences!

    ReplyDelete