Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MTC Letter #4

Caro Famiglia,
Vi voglio benissimo! I love you all so much! Please send me letters via DearElder or mail, cause I only have a half hour a week to be on my email account. Then I'll have more time to slowly read your letters and more time to use this half hour to type a general letter.
My comps and I agree that there haven't been a lot of new things that have happened this week. The most eventful thing was meeting Ivo and Silvana in the TRC monday. After a week of prayers and preparation, we excitedly went into the TRC. Our teacher told us that Ivo had come, but that he didn't want to participate, so he was waiting for his wife in the hallway on the couch. The three of us knew that the advesary was doing his best to give him negative feelings of doubt and persuade him from meeting with us. This happens with all of us- before any amazing, good experience that the Lord has prepared for us to enjoy in our life, Satan tries all he can to stop us or that thing from occuring. So...lesson is, if you're struggling with something, and you're being as righteous as you can be, something wonderful is on it's way, so stay strong and faithful. Blessings await you!!!
We said a brief, but heartfelt prayer for him to become more open to receiving Christ into his life and to our friendship and help that we can offer. We prayed to be sensitive to the Spirit, and to follow the inspiration that Lord had for us. We walked out into the hallway, and I went right up and shook his hand. In Italian, "Well, hello Ivo". Skeptical look, "How do you know my name??" "From your wife Silvana of course:)". He stood up and within a few minutes his countenance became more happy and trusting. We simply talked all about Italy- the food, the beauty of the places where he'd grown up. It was obvious that he loves Italian culture more than anything else. He is proud of his heritage and his catholic background. That is wonderful- he has his priorities straight concerning family and heritage. We talked for an hour, all in Italian, fast fast fast. It was incredible that we could understand most of what he was saying and respond back. At one point, I said, "Let's stop talking about Italian food- we only eat cafeteria food every meal. He sat down and wrote down his address and phone number. He said, "Come to my home, and my wife will cook you a real Italian meal". We expressed our gratitude and were super flattered and pleased that he was so kind. We explained that we couldn't meet with him while we're in the MTC but we exchanged emails and suggested he bring an Italian snack next week to the TRC. After a few more minutes of chatting, his wife came out and the first thing that he said was "We're going to bring these sisters Italian snacks next week. I got their addresses and emails". He reallly enjoyed talking to us, especially because we love Italy and were interested in learning about his culture and speaking his language. It reminds of teh scripture in 1 Nephi- ...don't have time to find it. It says that the Spirit of God speaks in simplicity and clarity, according to men's understanding, and to their language. If we seek to influence and love other people, we must first learn how to speak their language. Comparable to showing love in ways that each individual wants to be loved- some people don't appreciate words but they like hugs.... The gospel, the scriptures, are for each person's benefit. They give us counsel concerning our own personal desires and goals, our daily concerns and struggles that we face. As I said in my last email, the Book of Mormon and prayer are two of the most powerful sources of strength and comfort.
This week I've learned a lot about the power of diligent preparation and work. The Lord's way is a daily process. Faith grows as a seed (Alma 32). In order to develop our faith/hope/eventually firm knowledge of Christ as our Savior, small daily habits make the most difference! In order for a seed to grow into an incredible redwood tree, it needs the proper amount of water and sun each day. A little seed cannot handle too much water all at once or it will drown, and too much sun will scorch the seed. Elder Bednar's talk about receiving revelation perfectly sums up all of the things that I've been thinking about and learning personally this week. I also like Moroni 7:21-22. It explains the result of being "overzealous" to inherit the things that God has planned for us to learn, to do, or to receive. It is good to have strong and righteous desires, but we must also trust in the Lord's way and in his timing for us. He wants us to excercize the gifts/tasks that he has given us now. Once we have made these simple these become strong and solid and learned what we needed to learn, often times patience, he will give us more blessings and responsibilities. Moroni 9: 3-4 once again. Moroni 7: 33 "But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, ACCORDING TO HIS OWN WILL and pleasure, deliver you..."
I'm sure that I've grown a lot this week, more than I realize. I've been consistently trying my best to learn the language. I cannot recognize what I've learned, or how my testimony has grown, but I feel that I have. In times when I am tempted to get down, discouraged or impatient with myself or my investigators, I am so glad for the words of the Lord in the Book of Mormon. He always sets my perspectives straight. It was encouraging to receive a lettter from Weylin this week. His testimony feeds mine as well, and wow! It is strong. What a man! He said at the end of his letter to stay strong for him. I am trying my best to work hard and serve others to bring blessings of Heaven to you all. One other quick thing- I am grateful that the Lord has blessed me with these things- the opport. to serve a mission and to have the gospel. I don't deserve it more than anyone else. It is a gift from Him! All things are blessings from Him and His plan. He loves us so much I promise.
All my love and prayers daily,
Sorella Q Oakes


No comments:

Post a Comment