Saturday, September 22, 2012

10th Week in Genoa


Dear Family,
  I just want to tell you all that you are incredible! The service that you are all rendering in your lives, the faith that you have, the optimism for the future...I am amazed by how wonderful you are. Thank you for your example to me.

  For a week and half Sorella Hanks is sick with a virus and possibly strep throat. She will probably be sick for a while longer, we are not sure. Poor thing. She never complains! Fortunately I have not gotten sick. I received permission from President to call up sisters in our ward to do exchanges with me. One woman will stay in our apartment for a few hours while I go out with another to teach our investigators.

Monday we had an incredible Blitz with Sorella Jones and Sorella...drum roll...McNamara! I love them both so much. Being with Sorella McNamara, I felt at home. She has grown and matured even more into a beautiful woman. She was already so mature and amazing before but it is neat to see how much three transfers and serving with different companions changes you. Luca whom we taught in Varese is getting baptized in October! I am so incredibly happy for him.

Once again, I got to serve with Sorella Jones and learned a lot from her. We went to two appointments and no one was home, neither responded on the phone. But that night we taught a man from Peru who is golden! I never want to forget that hour that we shared with him in his home. The spirit was so strong, our hearts were filled with love for him and for the Lord. When we presented and gave him a Book of Mormon he flipped through the first few pages and tenderly said, "I am content to have this book. I have read the Bible but I have never had the opportunity to read this. Now I can. I thank you both. I know God loves me because He sends people like you to teach me His word."

In Preach My Gospel there is a section entitled, "How to Begin Teaching." There are ten phrases that are suggestions of things we can say during the first meeting with an investigator, such as "We will guide you so that you can know personally if our message is true. But it depends on you to accept and act upon the message..." As Sorella Jones and I asked questions and just listened to this wonderful man he seemed to have memorized and recited these ten points from the manual! He said, "You both can guide me to know if this is true. But I need to read and pray about this and repent. I want to change and find the right path and follow Jesus Christ..."  

When we left the lesson we yelled for joy for a half hour! We could not feel our bodies anymore, we were in heaven. I would not trade these experiences that I have had serving here in Italy for anything in the world. I cannot describe how fantastic it is to serve a mission, to learn from and to give love to companions and different people that I meet. My heart is full to the brim with gratitude for all of these opportunities. Challenges?! Who cares! They are nothing.

 Love you all!
     
Sorella Oakes

1 comment:

  1. Hello to the editor of the blog! I'm Gabriele from Varese, a friend of Sister Oakes! I've always followed S. Oakes' blog to know how she was, but there have been no new updates since September! How is she? And how is her Mission going?? I was very happy to read her stories and what was happening, I'd like to be updated! Please, deliver my best wishes to Sister Oakes for a the continuation of her Mission, we really miss her here in Varese! I hope everything is ok in her life!!

    Thank you, Gabriele Funaro, from Varese

    ReplyDelete